Fire Set works by striking steel against a Ferrocerium rod which produces extremely hot sparks - up to 2980 C (5400 F)! Just make sure you have a nice bed of tinder and kindling for your sparks to fall into.
For Fire Set to work properly, use a highly flammable material as a catch for your sparks. We recommend using Spark Fiber or a cotton ball dabbed with a bit of petroleum jelly.
1. For optimal performance, use Spark Fiber or a cotton ball dabbed with some petroleum jelly as a catch for your sparks.
2. Prepare your kindling, such as birch bark or dry twigs.
3. Scrape off the black paint covering the ferro rod.
4. Set the ferro rod against Spark Fiber.
5. Use the top edge of the striker to apply pressure and strike firmly.
Your Fire Set doesn’t need much cleaning or long term care. Make sure to keep the ferro rod and striker clean of any dirt, grease, etc. that could hinder the ability to strike and spark cleanly.